This short report was tabled at the Board of Trustees Meeting of 18 September 2013 to report on progress that has been made on the redevelopment of the School Library.
Sarah Gallagher and Megan LaHood met with all of the teaching staff last month to look at furniture options. On the basis of this meeting orders were sent to Mocka and Mike’s Woodshop. The 4 bean bags covers and beans have arrived, and the furniture is expected to be delivered in the second week of the school holidays. [We hope to have everything assembled for the start of term].
Library webpage and online resources
Sarah is working on a Library web page including a collection of evaluated online resources for the children that will support their learning at school and home. [The Library webpage is now live – please take a look. Sarah hopes to run a session next term for anyone interested in finding out more about the resources.]
Paul has registered for EPIC, a collection of online databases and encyclopedias, free to Schools through MOE. [We are awaiting login details and will advertise this when we are notified.]
Sarah has made two blog posts and will continue to communicate Library updates this way to keep the community informed. https://sacredheartdn.school.nz/category/library/
- Naomi Hand has volunteered to compile a wish list of fiction, picture books and ideas for special character books in preparation for collection development.
- Sarah has created an online form for children and whanau to recommend books for the library.
- Non fiction – recommend staff meet with Maxine Ramsay from School Library Services to discuss their needs for curriculum to drive purchasing.
- We need to identify sources of funding for books and submit applications.
We’d like to run a grand library launch in collaboration with the PFA. We would like to time this with the arrival of the furniture and also demonstrate the Library webpage and online resources. We are very happy to be guided by the PFA and fit in with any planned events. [When a decision has been made we will announce this on the website and school newsletter].
Still on the list
While we have made great progress there are a number of things that remain on our list and may require further funding / support, including:
- Book funding and purchases
- New shelving
- 2 computers for the library
- Possible renewal of wall coverings
We would welcome assistance to investigate funding options!