The school has a maximum roll of 120. Preference is given to children who have a Catholic connection, however we also welcome enquiries from children with non-Catholic backgrounds under the Open Enrolment category (see below). If you are seeking enrolment or would like to discuss the above information in more detail, please contact Paul Richardson our Principal who is very happy to support you further with your decision.
The Integration Agreement allows for a certain number of open enrolment places. (usually 5% of the maximum roll). Once a family has enrolled a child in the open enrolment category, older siblings may also be granted a placement, provided maximum roll is not exceeded, with the consent of the proprietor of the school. (The Proprietor of Sacred Heart School is the Catholic Bishop of Dunedin)
Current preference criteria
- The child has been baptised Catholic or is preparing for Catholic Baptism
- The child’s parents / guardians have already allowed one or more of their siblings to be baptised in the Catholic faith.
- At least one parent / guardian is a Catholic and although their child has not yet been baptised, the child’s participation in the life of the school could lead to the parents having the child baptised.
- With the agreement of the child’s parent / guardian, a grandparent or other significant adult in the child’s life such as an aunt, uncle or godparent, undertakes to support the child’s formation in the faith and practices of the Catholic Church.
- One or both of the child’s non-Catholic parents / guardians is preparing to become a Catholic.
[Dunedin Catholic Education Office Preference of Enrolment Document 2003]
Pre-entry visits to the school are encouraged and recommended. These can be arranged with the Principal or first year teacher and usually take place 5 to 6 weeks prior to the starting date.
From age four, your children are welcome to join in with our Earlybirds programme. This runs every second Monday from 1:30pm to 3pm during term time. Activities are led by a registered teacher, and include arts and crafts, music and visits with the junior classes.
Please contact us to find out more.